- Bangladeshi Ovhibashi Mohila Sramik Association (BOMSA)
Bangladeshi Ovhibashi Mohila Sramik Association (BOMSA) is the sole organization dealing with women migrants’ issues in Bangladesh. The Association has been registered with the Department of Women’s Affairs, Government of Bangladesh; DWA Registration no. Jesbikka/Dhaka/250, NGO Bureau Reg. No 1920. BOMSA was come into being in 1998 by some Bangladeshi returnee migrant women mostly from Philippine, Malaysia and other countries with aim to unite and give protection to the female migrants of Bangladesh.
Since its formation, Bangladeshi Ovhibashi Mohila Sramik Association has been working as the only voice for the female migrants in Bangladesh. It has active participation in various national & international forums regarding the women migrants’ issues of Bangladesh.
Currently, BOMSA’s activities are operative in these following areas - Dhaka (Rupganj), Narayangonj sadar, Narshingdi, Faridpur, Keraniganj, Manikganj, Tongi, Savar, Rajbari, Kishorgonj, Jessore, Nawabgonj, and Norail. Gradually, its operational areas are increasing.
According to the website of BOMSA, the Objectives of this Association are:
* Organize women migrant workers, discuss and identify their problems, issues and provide support to solve those.
* Organize potential women migrants and make them aware of the migratory process and on trafficking involving the community and family members.
* Create awareness among unskilled and semi-skilled women workers interested to work abroad on the rules, regulations and procedures of international migration.
* Create awareness among women migrant workers about their legal rights and benefits and lobby for the rights of migrant workers and their families.
* Create awareness among women migrant workers regarding the work condition and wages, working hours, cultural orientation and legal aspect of recipient countries.
* Create awareness regarding health and health risks associated with migration, especially HIV/AIDS.
* Assist returnees to find employment or involve them in suitable and profitable income generating activities.
Contact Info:Bangladeshi Ovhibashi Mohila Sramik Association (BOMSA):
132, Darus Salam (3rd floor), Karlanpur
Mirpur Road, Dhaka-1216
Tel: +8801718405546, +8801819432782
Published Date: 25/08/2014