- Bangladesh Garment Manufacturers and Exporters Association (BGMEA)
Starting its journey in 1983, Bangladesh Garment Manufacturers and Exporters Association (BGMEA) is the prime trade association representing the Ready–Made Garments (RMG) Sector of Bangladesh. The Association is mostly known as BGMEA in Bangladesh. BGMEA has been playing a very significant role to ensure a safer and sustainable garment industry in Bangladesh. Apparently, BGMEA is a common platform of garment manufacturers and exporters of Bangladesh. It outstandingly contributes for empowering women, creating jobs (nearly 4.0 million people are employed in this sector), and alleviating poverty in Bangladesh.
Since inception Bangladesh Garment Manufacturers and Exporters Association (BGMEA) is dedicated to:
- promote and facilitate the readymade garment industry of Bangladesh,
- maintain close relationship with foreign buyers, business organizations and chambers,
- play a vital role in formulating policies for this sector,
- provide support & protect its members’ rights,
- ensure workers’ rights and social compliance at factories,
- organize workshops, seminars, and training programs,
- promote educational programs & other facilities under its regulation and other medium for RMG sector,
- keep database of the garment workers, and other readymade garment sector’s information,
- and more…
BGMEA is run by a Board of Directors consist of 35 members elected for a two-year term, and the President is the highest executive authority of this association. At present, the President of BGMEA is Dr. Rubana Huq, the Managing Director of Mohammadi Group; the first elected female President of BGMEA.
BGMEA Head Office:
23/1 Pantha Path Link Road
Kawran Bazar, Dhaka 1215, Bangladesh
Tel.: +880 2 8140310-20
Fax.: +880 2 8140322, 8140323
BGMEA Regional Office:
BGMEA Bhaban (Level- 4 & 5)
669/E, Jhautala Road, South Khulshi, Chittagong.
Tel: 88-031-2867401-10 (PABX)
Published Date: 23/05/2014
Updated Date: 17/07/2020